Definitions of tame:
- verb: correct by punishment or discipline
- verb: make fit for cultivation, domestic life, and service to humans
Example: "The wolf was tamed and evolved into the house dog"
- verb: make less strong or intense; soften
Example: "The author finally tamed some of his potentially offensive statements"
- verb: overcome the wildness of; make docile and tractable
Example: "He tames lions for the circus"
- verb: adapt (a wild plant or unclaimed land) to the environment
Example: "Tame the soil"
- adjective: brought from wildness into a domesticated state
Example: "Tame animals"
- adjective: very restrained or quiet
Example: "A tame Christmas party"
- adjective: flat and uninspiring
- adjective: very docile
Example: "Tame obedience"
Search for tame at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse