Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of switch:
- noun: the act of changing one thing or position for another
Example: "His switch on abortion cost him the election"
- noun: a basketball maneuver; two defensive players shift assignments so that each guards the player usually guarded by the other
- noun: a flexible implement used as an instrument of punishment
- noun: control consisting of a mechanical or electrical or electronic device for making or breaking or changing the connections in a circuit
- noun: railroad track having two movable rails and necessary connections; used to turn a train from one track to another or to store rolling stock
- noun: hairpiece consisting of a tress of false hair; used by women to give shape to a coiffure
- noun: an event in which one thing is substituted for another
- verb: make a shift in or exchange of
Example: "Then we switched"
- verb: lay aside, abandon, or leave for another
Example: "Switch to a different brand of beer"
- verb: flog with or as if with a flexible rod
- verb: change over, change around, or switch over
- verb: reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
- verb: cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation
Example: "Switch on the light"
- verb: exchange or give (something) in exchange for
Search for switch at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse