Synonyms / Related
Definitions of purl:
- noun: a basic knitting stitch
- noun: gold or silver wire thread
- verb: make a murmuring sound
Example: "The water was purling"
- verb: embroider with gold or silver thread
- verb: edge or border with gold or silver embroidery
- verb: knit with a purl stitch
- verb: flow in a circular current, of liquids
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #34946)
Search for purl at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...