Definitions of period:
- noun: a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations
Example: "In England they call a period a stop"
- noun: the end or completion of something
Example: "Death put a period to his endeavors"
- noun: a unit of geological time during which a system of rocks formed
Example: "Ganoid fishes swarmed during the earlier geological periods"
- noun: one of three periods of play in hockey games
- noun: the interval taken to complete one cycle of a regularly repeating phenomenon
- noun: a stage in the history of a culture having a definable place in space and time
Example: "A novel from the Victorian period"
- noun: an amount of time
Example: "A time period of 30 years"
- noun: the monthly discharge of blood from the uterus of nonpregnant women from puberty to menopause
Search for period at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse