Definitions of negative:
- noun: a piece of photographic film showing an image with black and white tones reversed
- noun: a reply of denial
Example: "He answered in the negative"
- verb: vote against; refuse to endorse; refuse to assent
- adjective: characterized by or displaying negation or denial or opposition or resistance; having no positive features
Example: "A negative outlook on life"
- adjective: less than zero
Example: "A negative number"
- adjective: not indicating the presence of microorganisms or disease or a specific condition
Example: "The HIV test was negative"
- adjective: having a negative electric charge
Example: "Electrons are negative"
- adjective: expressing or consisting of a negation or refusal or denial
- adjective: reckoned in a direction opposite to that regarded as positive
- adjective: having the quality of something harmful or unpleasant
Example: "Ran a negative campaign"
- adjective: involving disadvantage or harm
Example: "Minus (or negative) factors"
- adjective: designed or tending to discredit, especially without positive or helpful suggestions
Example: "Negative criticism"
Search for negative at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse