Definitions of name:
- noun: by the sanction or authority of
Example: "Halt in the name of the law"
- noun: a language unit by which a person or thing is known
Example: "His name really is George Washington"
- noun: a defamatory or abusive word or phrase
Example: "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me"
- noun: family based on male descent
Example: "He had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
- noun: a well-known or notable person
Example: "They studied all the great names in the history of France"
- noun: a person's reputation
Example: "He wanted to protect his good name"
- verb: charge with a function; charge to be
Example: "She was named Head of the Committee"
- verb: mention and identify by name
Example: "Name your accomplices!"
- verb: give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property
Example: "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"
- verb: assign a specified, proper name to
Example: "They named their son David"
- verb: create and charge with a task or function
- verb: determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
- verb: give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of
- verb: make reference to
Example: "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- verb: identify as in botany or biology, for example
Search for name at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse