Definitions of mercy:
- noun: alleviation of distress; showing great kindness toward the distressed
Example: "Distributing food and clothing to the flood victims was an act of mercy"
- noun: something for which to be thankful
Example: "It was a mercy we got out alive"
- noun: a disposition to be kind and forgiving
- noun: the feeling that motivates compassion
- noun: leniency and compassion shown toward offenders by a person or agency charged with administering justice
Example: "He threw himself on the mercy of the court"
- name: A female given name (rare: 1 in 33333 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1707)
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #39881)
Search for mercy at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse