Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of lock:
- noun: any wrestling hold in which some part of the opponent's body is twisted or pressured
- noun: a fastener fitted to a door or drawer to keep it firmly closed
- noun: a restraint incorporated into the ignition switch to prevent the use of a vehicle by persons who do not have the key
- noun: enclosure consisting of a section of canal that can be closed to control the water level; used to raise or lower vessels that pass through it
- noun: a mechanism that detonates the charge of a gun
- noun: a strand or cluster of hair
- verb: pass by means through a lock in a waterway
- verb: become rigid or immoveable
Example: "The therapist noticed that the patient's knees tended to lock in this exercise"
- verb: fasten with a lock
Example: "Lock the bike to the fence"
- verb: hold in a locking position
Example: "He locked his hands around her neck"
- verb: build locks in order to facilitate the navigation of vessels
- verb: hold fast (in a certain state)
Example: "He was locked in a laughing fit"
- verb: become engaged or intermeshed with one another
Example: "They were locked in embrace"
- verb: place in a place where something cannot be removed or someone cannot escape
Example: "The parents locked her daughter up for the weekend"
- verb: keep engaged
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #4930)
Search for lock at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse