Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of lean:
- noun: the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the vertical
- verb: to incline or bend from a vertical position
Example: "She leaned over the banister"
- verb: rely on for support
Example: "We can lean on this man"
- verb: cause to lean or incline
Example: "He leaned his rifle against the wall"
- verb: cause to lean to the side
- verb: have a tendency or disposition to do or be something; be inclined
- adjective: not profitable or prosperous
Example: "A lean year"
- adjective: lacking in mineral content or combustible material
Example: "Lean ore"
- adjective: low in mineral content
Example: "A lean ore"
- adjective: containing little excess
Example: "A lean budget"
- adjective: lacking excess flesh
Example: "Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look-Shakespeare"
- name: A female given name (rare: 1 in 100000 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3628)
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #30093)
Search for lean at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse