Definitions of hero:
- noun: the principal character in a play or movie or novel or poem
- noun: (Greek mythology) priestess of Aphrodite who killed herself when her lover Leander drowned while trying to swim the Hellespont to see her
- noun: (classical mythology) a being of great strength and courage celebrated for bold exploits; often the offspring of a mortal and a god
- noun: a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength
Example: "RAF pilots were the heroes of the Battle of Britain"
- noun: Greek mathematician and inventor who devised a way to determine the area of a triangle and who described various mechanical devices (first century)
- noun: a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
- noun: someone who fights for a cause
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #83853)
Search for hero at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse