Synonyms / Related
Definitions of halcyon:
- noun: a mythical bird said to breed at the time of the winter solstice in a nest floating on the sea and to have the power of calming the winds and waves
- noun: a large kingfisher widely distributed in warmer parts of the Old World
- noun: (Greek mythology) a woman who was turned into a kingfisher
- adjective: idyllically calm and peaceful; suggesting happy tranquillity
Example: "A halcyon atmosphere"
- adjective: marked by peace and prosperity
Example: "The halcyon days of the clipper trade"
Search for halcyon at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...