Definitions of hack:
- noun: a saddle horse used for transportation rather than sport etc.
- noun: a horse kept for hire
- noun: an old or over-worked horse
- noun: a tool (as a hoe or pick or mattock) used for hacking the soil
- noun: one who works hard at boring tasks
- noun: a mediocre and disdained writer
- noun: a car driven by a person whose job is to take passengers where they want to go in exchange for money
- noun: a politician who belongs to a small clique that controls a political party for private rather than public ends
- verb: informal: be able to manage or manage successfully
Example: "I can't hack it anymore"
- verb: fix a computer program piecemeal until it works
Example: "I'm not very good at hacking but I'll give it my best"
- verb: cough spasmodically
Example: "The patient with emphysema is hacking all day"
- verb: kick on the shins
- verb: kick on the arms
- verb: cut away
Example: "He hacked with way through the forest"
- verb: significantly cut up a manuscript
- verb: cut with a hacking tool
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #6758)
Search for hack at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse