Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of give:
- noun: the elasticity of something that can be stretched and returns to its original length
- verb: transfer possession of something concrete or abstract to somebody
Example: "Can you give me lessons?"
- verb: leave with; give temporarily
Example: "Can I give you my keys while I go in the pool?"
- verb: give as a present; make a gift of
Example: "What will you give her for her birthday?"
- verb: convey or reveal information
Example: "Give one's name"
- verb: give or convey physically
- verb: give (as medicine)
- verb: cause to have, in the abstract sense or physical sense
- verb: deliver in exchange or recompense
Example: "I'll give you three books for four CDs"
- verb: emit or utter
Example: "Give a gulp"
- verb: execute and deliver
Example: "Give bond"
- verb: occur
Example: "What gives?"
- verb: estimate the duration or outcome of something
- verb: dedicate
Example: "Give thought to"
- verb: inflict as a punishment
- verb: allow to have or take
Example: "I give you two minutes to respond"
- verb: guide or direct, as by behavior of persuasion
- verb: submit for consideration, judgment, or use
Example: "Give one's opinion"
- verb: give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause
Example: "Give one's talents to a good cause"
- verb: offer in good faith
- verb: manifest or show
Example: "This student gives promise of real creativity"
- verb: convey or communicate; of a smile, a look, a physical gesture
- verb: convey, as of a compliment, regards, attention, etc.; bestow
Example: "Give the orders"
- verb: bestow
Example: "Give hommage"
- verb: legal use: accord by verdict
Example: "Give a decision for the plaintiff"
- verb: proffer (a body part)
- verb: consent to engage in sexual intercourse with a man
- verb: propose
- verb: be flexible under stress of physical force
Example: "This material doesn't give"
- verb: bring about
- verb: perform for an audience
- verb: present to view
- verb: contribute to some cause
- verb: bestow, especially officially
Example: "Give a divorce"
- verb: be the cause or source of
- verb: endure the loss of
- verb: give food to
Example: "Don't give the child this tough meat"
- verb: tell or deposit (information) knowledge
Example: "Give a secret to the Russians"
- verb: afford access to
Example: "The French doors give onto a terrace"
- verb: move in order to make room for someone for something
- verb: give or supply
- verb: break down, literally or metaphorically
- verb: organize or be responsible for
Example: "Give a course"
- verb: place into the hands or custody of
Search for give at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse