Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of flat:
- noun: scenery consisting of a wooden frame covered with painted canvas; part of a stage setting
- noun: a deflated pneumatic tire
- noun: a shallow box in which seedlings are started
- noun: a musical notation indicating one half step lower than the note named
- noun: a level tract of land
- noun: a suite of rooms usually on one floor of an apartment house
- noun: freight car without permanent sides or roof
- adjective: parallel to the ground
Example: "A flat roof"
- adjective: stretched out and lying at full length along the ground
Example: "Found himself lying flat on the floor"
- adjective: not made with leavening
Example: "Most flat breads are made from unleavened dough"
- adjective: lowered in pitch by one chromatic semitone
Example: "B flat"
- adjective: not increasing as the amount taxed increases
- adjective: having lost effervescence
Example: "Flat beer"
- adjective: lacking variety in shading
Example: "A flat unshaded painting"
- adjective: not reflecting light; not glossy
Example: "Flat wall paint"
- adjective: (of a tire) completely or partially deflated
- adjective: having no depth or thickness
- adjective: having a horizontal surface in which no part is higher or lower than another
Example: "A flat desk"
- adjective: lacking contrast or shading between tones
- adjective: without pleats
- adjective: lacking stimulating characteristics; uninteresting
Example: "A flat joke"
- adjective: lacking taste or flavor or tang
- adjective: flattened laterally along the whole length (e.g., certain leafstalks or flatfishes)
- adjective: lacking the expected range or depth; not designed to give an illusion or depth
Example: "A flat two-dimensional painting"
- adjective: not modified or restricted by reservations
Example: "A flat refusal"
- adverb: wholly or completely
Example: "He is flat broke"
- adverb: at full length
Example: "He fell flat on his face"
- adverb: against a flat surface
Example: "He lay flat on his back"
- adverb: below the proper pitch
Example: "She sang flat last night"
- adverb: with flat sails
Example: "Sail flat against the wind"
- adverb: in a forthright manner; candidly or frankly
Example: "Came out flat for less work and more pay"
Search for flat at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Descriptive words for flat (New!)
Announcing the 2016 RhymeZone Poetry Prize
Read and comment on a recent entry: Let's celebrate the rainy day
Copyright © 2016 Datamuse