Definitions of flap:
- noun: any broad thin and limber covering attached at one edge; hangs loose or projects freely
Example: "He wrote on the flap of the envelope"
- noun: a movable airfoil that is part of an aircraft wing; used to increase lift or drag
- noun: a movable piece of tissue partly connected to the body
- noun: the motion made by flapping up and down
- noun: an excited state of agitation
Example: "There was a terrible flap about the theft"
- verb: pronounce with a flap, of alveolar sounds
- verb: move noisily
Example: "Flags flapped in the strong wind"
- verb: move with a flapping motion
Example: "The bird's wings were flapping"
- verb: move with a thrashing motion
Example: "The bird flapped its wings"
- verb: make a fuss; be agitated
- verb: move in a wavy pattern or with a rising and falling motion
Search for flap at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse