Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of field:
- noun: a particular kind of commercial enterprise
Example: "They are outstanding in their field"
- noun: the area that is visible (as through an optical instrument)
- noun: all the competitors in a particular contest or sporting event
- noun: all of the horses in a particular horse race
- noun: (mathematics) a set of elements such that addition and multiplication are commutative and associative and multiplication is distributive over addition and there are two elements 0 and 1
Example: "The set of all rational numbers is a field"
- noun: (computer science) a set of one or more adjacent characters comprising a unit of information
- noun: a region in which active military operations are in progress
Example: "The army was in the field awaiting action"
- noun: somewhere (away from a studio or office or library or laboratory) where practical work is done or data is collected
Example: "Anthropologists do much of their work in the field"
- noun: a piece of land cleared of trees and usually enclosed
Example: "He planted a field of wheat"
- noun: a geographic region (land or sea) under which something valuable is found
Example: "The diamond fields of South Africa"
- noun: the space around a radiating body within which its electromagnetic oscillations can exert force on another similar body not in contact with it
- noun: extensive tract of level open land
Example: "He longed for the fields of his youth"
- noun: a place where planes take off and land
- noun: a piece of land prepared for playing a game
Example: "The home crowd cheered when Princeton took the field"
- noun: a branch of knowledge
- noun: a region where a battle is being (or has been) fought
Example: "They made a tour of Civil War battlefields"
- noun: a particular environment or walk of life
- verb: select (a team or individual player) for a game
Example: "The Patriots fielded a young new quarterback for the Rose Bowl"
- verb: answer adequately or successfully
Example: "The lawyer fielded all questions from the press"
- verb: play as a fielder
- verb: catch or pick up (balls) in baseball or cricket
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 9090 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1165)
Search for field at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse