Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of fail:
- verb: become bankrupt or insolvent; fail financially and close
Example: "A number of banks failed that year"
- verb: fall short in what is expected
Example: "She failed in her obligations as a good daughter-in-law"
- verb: fail to get a passing grade
Example: "She studied hard but failed nevertheless"
- verb: judge unacceptable
Example: "The teacher failed six students"
- verb: be unsuccessful
Example: "Where do today's public schools fail?"
- verb: fail to do something; leave something undone
Example: "She failed to notice that her child was no longer in his crib"
- verb: be unable
Example: "I fail to understand your motives"
- verb: stop operating or functioning
Example: "The engine failed on the way to town"
- verb: prove insufficient
Example: "The water supply for the town failed after a long drought"
- verb: get worse
- verb: disappoint, prove undependable to; abandon, forsake
Example: "His sense of smell failed him this time"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #20916)
Search for fail at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse