Definitions of derivation:
- noun: drawing off water from its main channel as for irrigation
- noun: drawing of fluid or inflammation away from a diseased part of the body
- noun: a line of reasoning that shows how a conclusion follows logically from accepted propositions
- noun: the source from which something derives (i.e. comes or issues)
Example: "He prefers shoes of Italian derivation"
- noun: (descriptive linguistics) the process whereby new words are formed from existing words or bases by affixation: `singer' from `sing'; `undo' from `do'
- noun: (historical linguistics) an explanation of the historical origins of a word or phrase
- noun: inherited properties shared with others of your bloodline
Search for derivation at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse