Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of dash:
- noun: a quick run
- noun: the act of moving with great haste
Example: "He made a dash for the door"
- noun: distinctive and stylish elegance
Example: "He wooed her with the confident dash of a cavalry officer"
- noun: the longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code
- noun: a footrace run at top speed
Example: "He is preparing for the 100-yard dash"
- noun: a punctuation mark (-) used between parts of a compound word or between the syllables of a word when the word is divided at the end of a line of text
- verb: destroy or break
Example: "Dashed ambitions and hopes"
- verb: add an enlivening or altering element to
Example: "Blue paint dashed with white"
- verb: run or move very quickly or hastily
Example: "She dashed into the yard"
- verb: break into pieces, as by striking or knocking over
- verb: hurl or thrust violently
Example: "He dashed the plate against the wall"
- verb: cause to lose courage
Example: "Dashed by the refusal"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #7683)
Search for dash at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse