The couplet contest goes meta: This month's theme is procrastination
Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of balance:
- noun: a scale for weighing; depends on pull of gravity
- noun: equality between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
- noun: the difference between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
- noun: equality of distribution
- noun: a state of equilibrium
- noun: a wheel that regulates the rate of movement in a machine; especially a wheel oscillating against the hairspring of a timepiece to regulate its beat
- noun: harmonious arrangement or relation of parts or elements within a whole (as in a design)
Example: "In all perfectly beautiful objects there is found the opposition of one part to another and a reciprocal balance- John Ruskin"
- noun: (astrology) a person who is born while the sun in in Libra
- noun: something left after other parts have been taken away
Example: "He took what he wanted and I got the balance"
- noun: the seventh sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about September 23 to October 22
- noun: an equivalent counterbalancing weight
- noun: (mathematics) an attribute of a shape or relation; exact correspondence of form on opposite sides of a dividing line or plane
- verb: compute credits and debits of an account
- verb: bring into balance or equilibrium
Example: "She has to balance work and her domestic duties"
- verb: be in equilibrium
- verb: hold or carry in equilibrium
Search for balance at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse