Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of approach:
- noun: the act of drawing spatially closer to something
Example: "The hunter's approach scattered the geese"
- noun: a relatively short golf shot intended to put the ball onto the putting green
Example: "He lost the hole when his approach rolled over the green"
- noun: ideas or actions intended to deal with a problem or situation
Example: "His approach to every problem is to draw up a list of pros and cons"
- noun: a close approximation
Example: "The nearest approach to genius"
- noun: the temporal property of becoming nearer in time
Example: "The approach of winter"
- noun: the event of one object coming closer to another
- noun: a way of entering or leaving
- noun: the final path followed by an aircraft as it is landing
- noun: a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others
- verb: move towards
Example: "We were approaching our destination"
- verb: make advances to someone, usually with a proposal or suggestion
Example: "I was approached by the President to serve as his adviser in foreign matters"
- verb: come near in time
Example: "Winter is approaching"
- verb: come near or verge on, resemble, come nearer in quality, or character
Example: "His playing approaches that of Horowitz"
- verb: begin to deal with
Example: "Approach a task"
Search for approach at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse