Superhero couplet contest: Win $50 for you and a charity of your choice
Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of whistle:
- noun: acoustic device that forces air or steam against an edge or into a cavity and so produces a loud shrill sound
- noun: the act of signalling (e.g., summoning) by whistling or blowing a whistle
Example: "The whistle signalled the end of the game"
- noun: the sound made by something moving rapidly or by steam coming out of a small aperture
- noun: an inexpensive fipple flute
- verb: move with, or as with, a whistling sound
Example: "The bullets whistled past him"
- verb: move, send, or bring as if by whistling
Example: "Her optimism whistled away these worries"
- verb: make whistling sounds
- verb: utter or express by whistling
Example: "She whistled a melody"
- verb: give a signal by whistling
Example: "She whistled for her maid"
- verb: make a whining, ringing, or whistling sound
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #76195)
Search for whistle at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse