Definitions of whiff:
- noun: a strikeout resulting from the batter swinging at and missing the ball for the third strike
- noun: a lefteye flounder found in coastal waters from New England to Brazil
- noun: a short light gust of air
- verb: drive or carry as if by a puff of air
Example: "The gust of air whiffed away the clouds"
- verb: utter with a puff of air
Example: "Whiff out a prayer"
- verb: strike out by swinging and missing the pitch charged as the third
- verb: perceive by inhaling through the nose
- verb: smoke and exhale strongly
Example: "Whiff a pipe"
Search for whiff at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse