Definitions of wave:
- noun: a movement like that of an ocean wave
Example: "A wave of settlers"
- noun: a hairdo that creates undulations in the hair
- noun: the act of signaling by a movement of the hand
- noun: (physics) a movement up and down or back and forth
- noun: one of a series of ridges that moves across the surface of a liquid (especially across a large body of water)
- noun: something that rises rapidly
Example: "A wave of emotion swept over him"
- noun: a member of the women's reserve of the United States Navy; originally organized during World War II but now no longer a separate branch
- noun: a persistent and widespread unusual weather condition (especially of unusual temperatures)
- noun: an undulating curve
- verb: set waves in
Example: "She asked the hairdresser to wave her hair"
- verb: signal with the hands or nod
Example: "She waved to her friends"
- verb: twist or roll into coils or ringlets
- verb: move or swing back and forth
Example: "She waved her gun"
- verb: move in a wavy pattern or with a rising and falling motion
Example: "The waves rolled towards the beach"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #53477)
Search for wave at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse