Definitions of vote:
- noun: the opinion of a group as determined by voting
Example: "They put the question to a vote"
- noun: a choice that is made by voting
Example: "There were only 17 votes in favor of the motion"
- noun: the total number of votes cast
Example: "They are hoping for a large vote"
- noun: a body of voters who have the same interests
Example: "He failed to get the Black vote"
- noun: a legal right guaranteed by the 15th amendment to the US constitution; guaranteed to women by the 19th amendment
Example: "American women got the vote in 1920"
- verb: express one's preference for a candidate or for a measure or resolution; cast a vote
Example: "He voted for the motion"
- verb: bring into existence or make available by vote
Example: "They voted aid for the underdeveloped countries in Asia"
- verb: express a choice or opinion
Example: "I vote that we all go home"
- verb: express one's choice or preference by vote
Example: "Vote the Democratic ticket"
- verb: be guided by in voting
Example: "Vote one's conscience"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #44957)
Search for vote at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse