Definitions of upgrade:
- noun: the act of improving something (especially machinery) by raising it to a higher grade (as by adding or replacing components)
Example: "The power plant received a new upgrade"
- noun: hardware that provides better performance than an earlier version did
- noun: the property possessed by a slope or surface that rises
- noun: a reservation that is upgraded
Example: "I got an upgrade to first class when coach class was full"
- noun: software that provides better performance than an earlier version did
- noun: an upward slope or grade (as in a road)
- verb: give better travel conditions to
Example: "The airline upgraded me when I arrived late and Coach Class was full"
- verb: get better travel conditions
Example: "I upgraded to First Class when Coach Class was overbooked"
- verb: rate higher; raise in value or esteem
- verb: to improve, especially something that was old or outdated
Example: "I've upgraded my computer so I can run better software"
- verb: give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
Search for upgrade at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia