Definitions of try:
- noun: earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
Example: "She gave it a good try"
- verb: make an effort or attempt
- verb: melt (fat, lard, etc.) in order to separate out impurities
Example: "Try the yak butter"
- verb: test the limits of
Example: "You are trying my patience!"
- verb: give pain or trouble to
- verb: examine or hear (evidence or a case) by judicial process
- verb: put on a garment in order to see whether it fits and looks nice
Example: "Try on this sweater to see how it looks"
- verb: take a sample of
Example: "Try these new crackers"
- verb: put on trial or hear a case and sit as the judge at the trial of
- verb: put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #38977)
Search for try at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse