Definitions of trial:
- noun: (law) legal proceedings consisting of the judicial examination of issues by a competent tribunal
Example: "Most of these complaints are settled before they go to trial"
- noun: (law) the determination of a person's innocence or guilt by due process of law
Example: "He had a fair trial and the jury found him guilty"
- noun: trying something to find out about it
Example: "A sample for ten days free trial"
- noun: an annoying or frustrating or catastrophic event
Example: "His mother-in-law's visits were a great trial for him"
- noun: (sports) a preliminary competition to determine qualifications
Example: "The trials for the semifinals began yesterday"
- noun: the act of testing something
Example: "In the experimental trials the amount of carbon was measured separately"
- noun: the act of undergoing testing
Example: "Candidates must compete in a trial of skill"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #25025)
Search for trial at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia