Definitions of trench:
- noun: a ditch dug as a fortification having a parapet of the excavated earth
- noun: any long ditch cut in the ground
- noun: a long steep-sided depression in the ocean floor
- verb: dig a trench or trenches
Example: "The National Guardsmen were sent out to trench"
- verb: cut a trench in, as for drainage
Example: "Trench the fields"
- verb: set, plant, or bury in a trench
Example: "Trench the fallen soldiers"
- verb: cut or carve deeply into
Example: "Letters trenched into the stone"
- verb: fortify by surrounding with trenches
Example: "He trenched his military camp"
- verb: impinge or infringe upon
Example: "This matter entrenches on other domains"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #41816)
Search for trench at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse