Synonyms / Related
Definitions of transposition:
- noun: (music) playing in a different key from the key intended; moving the pitch of a piece of music upwards or downwards
- noun: the act of reversing the order or place of
- noun: (electricity) a rearrangement of the relative positions of power lines in order to minimize the effects of mutual capacitance and inductance
Example: "He wrote a textbook on the electrical effects of transposition"
- noun: (mathematics) the transfer of a quantity form one side of an equation to the other along with a change of sign
- noun: (genetics) a kind of mutation in which a chromosomal segment is transfered to a new position on the same or another chromosome
- noun: any abnormal position of the organs of the body
- noun: an event in which one thing is substituted for another
Search for transposition at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...