Definitions of translate:
- verb: physics: subject to movement in which every part of the body moves parallel to and the same distance as every other point on the body
- verb: be translatable, or be translatable in a certain way
Example: "Poetry often does not translate"
- verb: be equivalent in effect
Example: "The growth in income translates into greater purchasing power"
- verb: change from one form or medium into another
Example: "Braque translated collage into oil"
- verb: change the position of (figures or bodies) in space without rotation
- verb: genetics: determine the amino-acid sequence of a protein during its synthesis by using information on the messenger RNA
- verb: restate (words) from one language into another language
Example: "I have to translate when my in-laws from Austria visit the U.S."
- verb: express, as in simple and less technical langauge
Example: "Can you translate the instructions in this manual for a layman?"
- verb: bring to a certain spiritual state
- verb: make sense of a language
Search for translate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse