Definitions of transit:
- noun: a journey usually by ship
- noun: a surveying instrument for measuring horizontal and vertical angles, consisting of a small telescope mounted on a tripod
- noun: a facility consisting of the means and equipment necessary for the movement of passengers or goods
- verb: cause or enable to pass through
Example: "The canal will transit hundreds of ships every day"
- verb: revolve (the telescope of a surveying transit) about its horizontal transverse axis in order to reverse its direction
- verb: pass across (a sign or house of the zodiac) or pass across (the disk of a celestial body or the meridian of a place)
Example: "The comet will transit on September 11"
- verb: make a passage or journey from one place to another
Search for transit at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse