Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of train:
- noun: public transport provided by a line of railway cars coupled together and drawn by a locomotive
Example: "Express trains don't stop at Princeton Junction"
- noun: piece of cloth forming the long back section of a gown that is drawn along the floor
Example: "The bride's train was carried by her two young nephews"
- noun: a series of consequences wrought by an event
Example: "It led to a train of disasters"
- noun: a procession (of wagons or mules or camels) traveling together in single file
Example: "They joined the wagon train for safety"
- noun: a sequentially ordered set of things or events or ideas in which each successive member is related to the preceding
Example: "Train of mourners"
- noun: wheelwork consisting of a connected set of rotating gears by which force is transmitted or motion or torque is changed
Example: "The fool got his tie caught in the geartrain"
- verb: train to grow in a certain way by tying and pruning it
Example: "Train the vine"
- verb: undergo training or instruction in preparation for a particular role, function, or profession
Example: "She is training to be a teacher"
- verb: create by training and teaching
Example: "The old master is training world-class violinists"
- verb: exercise in order to prepare for an event or competition
Example: "She is training for the Olympics"
- verb: travel by rail or train
Example: "She trained to Hamburg"
- verb: train by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control
Example: "Is this dog trained?"
- verb: teach and supervise (someone); act as a trainer or coach (to), as in sports
Example: "He is training our Olympic team"
- verb: drag loosely along a surface; allow to sweep the ground
Example: "She trained her long scarf behind her"
- verb: prepare (someone) for a future role or function
Example: "They trained him to be a warrior"
- verb: train to be discriminative in taste or judgment
Example: "Train your tastebuds"
- verb: aim or direct at; as of blows, weapons, or objects such as photographic equipment
Example: "He trained his gun on the burglar"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #53766)
Search for train at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse