Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of trace:
- noun: either of two lines that connect a horse's harness to a wagon or other vehicle or to a whiffletree
- noun: an indication that something has been present
Example: "There wasn't a trace of evidence for the claim"
- noun: a visible mark (as a footprint) left by the passage of person or animal or vehicle
- noun: a just detectable amount
Example: "He speaks French with a trace of an accent"
- noun: drawing created by tracing
- noun: a suggestion of some quality
- verb: discover traces of
Example: "She traced the circumstances of her birth"
- verb: follow, discover, or ascertain the course of development of something
Example: "Trace the student's progress"
- verb: make a mark or lines on a surface
Example: "Trace the outline of a figure in the sand"
- verb: copy by following the lines of the original drawing on a transparent sheet placed upon it; make a tracing of
Example: "Trace a design"
- verb: make one's course or travel along a path; travel or pass over, around, or along
Example: "The children traced along the edge of the drak forest"
- verb: to go back over again
Example: "We retraced the route we took last summer"
- verb: read with difficulty
Example: "The archeologist traced the hieroglyphs"
- verb: pursue or chase relentlessly
Example: "The hunters traced the deer into the woods"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #25962)
Search for trace at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse