Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of tone:
- noun: (linguistics) a pitch or change in pitch of the voice that serves to distinguish words in tonal languages
Example: "The Beijing dialect uses four tones"
- noun: the quality of something (an act or a piece of writing) that reveals the attitudes and presuppositions of the author
Example: "The general tone of articles appearing in the newspapers is that the government should withdraw"
- noun: a steady sound without overtones
Example: "They tested his hearing with pure tones of different frequencies"
- noun: a musical interval of two semitones
- noun: the quality of a person's voice
Example: "He began in a conversational tone"
- noun: the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
Example: "A clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"
- noun: a notation representing the pitch and duration of a musical sound
- noun: the elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc. that facilitate response to stimuli
- noun: a quality of a given color that differs slightly from a primary color
- noun: (music) the distinctive property of a complex sound (a voice or noise or musical sound)
Example: "The muffled tones of the broken bell summoned them to meet"
- verb: change to a color image
Example: "Tone a photographic image"
- verb: change the color or tone of
Example: "Tone a negative"
- verb: of one's speech, varying the pitch
- verb: utter monotonously and repetitively and rhythmically
- verb: give a healthy elasticity to
Example: "Let's tone our muscles"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #17109)
Search for tone at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...