Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of title:
- noun: an established or recognized right
Example: "He had no documents confirming his title to his father's estate"
- noun: an identifying appellation signifying status or function: e.g. Mr. or General
Example: "The professor didn't like his friends to use his formal title"
- noun: an appellation signifying nobility
Example: "`your majesty' is the appropriate title to use in addressing a king"
- noun: the name of a work of art or literary composition etc.
Example: "He looked for books with the word `jazz' in the title"
- noun: a heading that names a statute or legislative bill; may give a brief summary of the matters it deals with
Example: "Title 8 provided federal help for schools"
- noun: (usually plural) written material introduced into a movie or TV show to give credits or represent dialogue or explain an action
Example: "The titles go by faster than I can read"
- noun: a general or descriptive heading for a section of a written work
Example: "The novel had chapter titles"
- noun: an informal right to something
Example: "His title to fame"
- noun: the status of being a champion
Example: "He held the title for two years"
- noun: a legal document signed and sealed and delivered to effect a transfer of property and to show the legal right to possess it
Example: "He kept the title to his car in the glove compartment"
- verb: designate by an identifying term
- verb: give a title to
Search for title at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse