Definitions of third:
- noun: the musical interval between one note and another three notes away from it
Example: "A simple harmony written in major thirds"
- noun: following the second position in an ordering or series
Example: "A distant third"
- noun: the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near 3rd base
Example: "He is playing third"
- noun: the base that must be touched third by a base runner in baseball
Example: "He was cut down on a close play at third"
- noun: the third from the lowest forward ratio gear in the gear box of a motor vehicle
Example: "You shouldn't try to start in third gear"
- noun: one of three equal parts of a divisible whole
Example: "It contains approximately a third of the minimum daily requirement"
- adjective: coming next after the second and just before the fourth in position
- adverb: in the third place
Example: "Third we must consider unemployment"
Search for third at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse