Definitions of theme:
- noun: a unifying idea that is a recurrent element in a literary or artistic work
Example: "It was the usual `boy gets girl' theme"
- noun: (music) melodic subject of a musical composition
Example: "The theme is announced in the first measures"
- noun: the subject matter of a conversation or discussion
Example: "His letters were always on the theme of love"
- noun: an essay (especially one written as an assignment)
- noun: (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed
- verb: provide with a particular theme or motive
Example: "The restaurant often themes its menus"
Search for theme at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse