Definitions of term:
- noun: any distinct quantity contained in a polynomial
Example: "The general term of an algebraic equation of the n-th degree"
- noun: a word or expression used for some particular thing
Example: "He learned many medical terms"
- noun: one of the substantive phrases in a logical proposition
Example: "The major term of a syllogism must occur twice"
- noun: a limited period of time
Example: "A prison term"
- noun: the end of gestation or point at which birth is imminent
Example: "A healthy baby born at full term"
- noun: (usually plural) a statement of what is required as part of an agreement
Example: "The terms of the treaty were generous"
- noun: (architecture) a statue or a human bust or an animal carved out of the top of a square pillar; originally used as a boundary marker in ancient Rome
- verb: name formally or designate with a term
Search for term at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse