Definitions of tension:
- noun: the action of stretching something tight
Example: "Tension holds the belt in the pulleys"
- noun: (physics) a stress that produces an elongation of an elastic physical body
Example: "The direction of maximum tension moves asymptotically toward the direction of the shear"
- noun: a balance between and interplay of opposing elements or tendencies (especially in art or literature)
Example: "There is a tension created between narrative time and movie time"
- noun: (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense
Example: "He suffered from fatigue and emotional tension"
- noun: the physical condition of being stretched or strained
Example: "It places great tension on the leg muscles"
- noun: feelings of hostility that are not manifest
Example: "The diplomats' first concern was to reduce international tensions"
Search for tension at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Privacy, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse