Definitions of temper:
- noun: a disposition to exhibit uncontrolled anger
Example: "His temper was well known to all his employees"
- noun: the elasticity and hardness of a metal object; its ability to absorb considerable energy before cracking
- noun: a characteristic (habitual or relatively temporary) state of feeling
Example: "Whether he praised or cursed me depended on his temper at the time"
- noun: a sudden outburst of anger
Example: "His temper sparked like damp firewood"
- verb: make more temperate, acceptable, or suitable by adding something else; moderate
Example: "She tempered her criticism"
- verb: adjust the pitch (of pianos)
- verb: harden by reheating and cooling in oil
Example: "Temper steel"
- verb: toughen (steel or glass) by a process of gradually heating and cooling
Example: "Temper glass"
- verb: restrain or temper
Search for temper at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse