Definitions of Tell:
- noun: a Swiss patriot who lived in the early 14th century and who was renowned for his skill as an archer; according to legend an Austrian governor compelled him to shoot an apple from his son's head with his crossbow (which he did successfully without mishap)
- verb: discern or comprehend
Example: "He could tell that she was unhappy"
- verb: let something be known
Example: "Tell them that you will be late"
- verb: narrate or give a detailed account of
Example: "Tell what happened"
- verb: give evidence
Example: "He was telling on all his former colleague"
- verb: give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority
- verb: inform positively and with certainty and confidence
Example: "I tell you that man is a crook!"
- verb: express in words
Example: "Tell me what is bothering you"
- verb: mark as different
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #19930)
Search for Tell at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse