Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of tap:
- noun: a light touch or stroke
- noun: a plug for a bunghole in a cask
- noun: a tool for cutting female (internal) screw threads
- noun: a small metal plate that attaches to the toe or heel of a shoe (as in tap dancing)
- noun: the act of tapping a telephone or telegraph line to get information
- noun: a faucet for drawing water from a pipe or cask
- noun: the sound made by a gentle blow
- noun: a gentle blow
- verb: make light, repeated taps on a surface
Example: "He was tapping his fingers on the table impatiently"
- verb: draw from or dip into to get something
Example: "Tap one's memory"
- verb: furnish with a tap or spout, so as to be able to draw liquid from it
Example: "Tap a cask of wine"
- verb: strike lightly
Example: "He tapped me on the shoulder"
- verb: cut a female screw thread with a tap
- verb: pierce in order to draw a liquid from
Example: "Tap a maple tree for its syrup"
- verb: draw (liquor) from a tap
Example: "Tap beer in a bar"
- verb: walk with a tapping sound
- verb: tap a telephone or telegraph wire to get information
Example: "The FBI was tapping the phone line of the suspected spy"
- verb: draw from; make good use of
- verb: dance and make rhythmic clicking sounds by means of metal plates nailed to the sole of the dance shoes
Example: "Glover tapdances better than anybody"
- verb: make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request urgently or persistently
Search for tap at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse