Definitions of synthetic:
- noun: a compound made artificially by chemical reactions
- adjective: of a proposition whose truth value is determined by observation or facts
Example: "`all men are arrogant' is a synthetic proposition"
- adjective: systematic combining of root and modifying elements into single words
- adjective: involving or of the nature of synthesis (combining separate elements to form a coherent whole) as opposed to analysis
Example: "Limnology is essentially a synthetic science composed of elements...that extend well beyond the limits of biology- P.S.Welch"
- adjective: not genuine or natural
Example: "Counterfeit rhetoric that flourishes when passions are synthetic- George Will"
- adjective: artificial as if portrayed in a film
- adjective: not of natural origin; prepared or made artificially
Example: "Synthetic leather"
Search for synthetic at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...