Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of sympathetic:
- adjective: expressing or feeling or resulting from sympathy or compassion or friendly fellow feelings; disposed toward
Example: "Sympathetic to the students' cause"
- adjective: (of characters in literature or drama) evoking empathic or sympathetic feelings
Example: "The sympathetic characters in the play"
- adjective: of or relating to the sympathetic nervous system
Example: "Sympathetic neurons"
- adjective: having similar disposition and tastes
Example: "With their many similar tastes, he found her a most sympathetic companion"
- adjective: relating to vibrations that occur as a result of vibrations in a nearby body
Example: "Sympathetic vibration"
- adjective: showing or motivated by sympathy and understanding and generosity
Example: "Sympathetic words"
Search for sympathetic at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...