Definitions of swell:
- noun: a crescendo followed by a decrescendo
- noun: the undulating movement of the surface of the open sea
- noun: a rounded elevation (especially one on an ocean floor)
- noun: a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- verb: expand abnormally
Example: "The bellies of the starving children are swelling"
- verb: cause to become swollen
Example: "The water swells the wood"
- verb: become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger
Example: "The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
- verb: increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity
Example: "The music swelled to a crescendo"
- verb: as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things
Example: "Smoke swelled from it"
- verb: come up
- adjective: very good
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #67353)
Search for swell at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse