Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of sweet:
- noun: the taste experience when sugar dissolves in the mouth
- noun: a food rich in sugar
- noun: English phonetician; one of the founders of modern phonetics (1845-1912)
- noun: the property of containing sugar
- noun: a dish served as the last course of a meal
- adjective: pleasing to the senses
Example: "The sweet song of the lark"
- adjective: (used of wines) having a sweet taste
- adjective: having a pleasant taste (as of sugar)
- adjective: one of the four basic taste sensations; very pleasant; like the taste of sugar or honey
- adjective: not having a salty taste
Example: "Sweet water"
- adjective: pleasing to the mind or feeling
Example: "Sweet revenge"
- adjective: not soured or preserved
Example: "Sweet milk"
- adjective: with sweetening added
- adjective: having a sweet nature befitting an angel or cherub
Example: "A sweet disposition"
- adjective: pleasing to the ear
- adjective: having a natural fragrance
- adverb: in an affectionate or loving manner (`sweet' is sometimes a poetic or informal variant of `sweetly')
Example: "Susan Hayward plays the wife sharply and sweetly"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 7692 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #932)
Search for sweet at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse