Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of swallow:
- noun: the act of swallowing
Example: "One swallow of the liquid was enough"
- noun: small long-winged songbird noted for swift graceful flight and the regularity of its migrations
- noun: a small amount of liquid food
- verb: believe or accept without questioning or challenge
Example: "Am I supposed to swallow that story?"
- verb: keep from expressing
Example: "I swallowed my anger and kept quiet"
- verb: take back what one has said
Example: "He swallowed his words"
- verb: utter indistinctly
Example: "She swallowed the last words of her speech"
- verb: engulf and destroy
Example: "The Nazis swallowed the Baltic countries"
- verb: pass through the esophagus as part of eating or drinking
Example: "Swallow the raw fish--it won't kill you!"
- verb: enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing
Example: "The huge waves swallowed the small boat and it sank shortly thereafter"
- verb: tolerate or accommodate oneself to
Example: "I swallowed the insult"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #9498)
Search for swallow at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse