Definitions of sustain:
- verb: admit as valid
Example: "The court sustained the motion"
- verb: supply with necessities and support
Example: "She alone sustained her family"
- verb: lengthen or extend in duration or space
Example: "We sustained the diplomatic negociations as long as possible"
- verb: undergo (as of injuries and illnesses)
- verb: establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts
- verb: provide with nourishment
Example: "We sustained ourselves on bread and water"
- verb: be the physical support of; carry the weight of
Search for sustain at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia