Definitions of surface:
- noun: the outer boundary of an artifact or a material layer constituting or resembling such a boundary
Example: "There is a special cleaner for these surfaces"
- noun: a superficial aspect as opposed to the real nature of something
Example: "It was not what it appeared to be on the surface"
- noun: the extended two-dimensional outer boundary of a three-dimensional object
Example: "They skimmed over the surface of the water"
- noun: the outermost level of the land or sea
Example: "Earthquakes originate far below the surface"
- noun: information that has become public
Example: "The facts had been brought to the surface"
- noun: a device that provides reactive force when in motion relative to the surrounding air; can lift or control a plane in flight
- verb: come to the surface
- verb: put a coat on; cover the surface of; furnish with a surface
- verb: appear or become visible; make a showing
Example: "I hope the list key is going to surface again"
- adjective: on the surface
Example: "Surface materials of the moon"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #7119)
Search for surface at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Privacy, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse